"I have compassion for my parents' childhoods. I now know that I chose them because they were perfect for what I had to learn. I forgive them and set them free, and I set myself free."
To hear people clapping for me reading this out loud felt awkward because it was not my writing. Someone else, who I don't know, wrote this. At the same time, I completely agree with the statement, so agreeing with it allowed the clapping to indirectly make me feel good about it. I feel that it is important to affirm children's work and writing in this way, because a positive noise after you stand up and share something is always beneficial. Its awkward and insulting when there's crickets after you speak, and no child should ever experience that. It would hurt their self-esteem and make them not want to voice their thoughts or opinions.
This saying connects to me because my parents have become my best friends. When I was younger, I resented and did not agree with things they would do to parent or "guide" me. I now know that I was born into my family for the reason that I was perfect for my parents. Not in the sense that I behaved perfectly for them or that we got along all the time, but in the fact that their traits and their ways were exactly right to teach me what I needed to learn. I learned through their direct guidance, watching their example, and learning what not to do when they messed up. What I love about my parents is that they did not set out everything in front of me. They gave me hints about what was right, took me to church, and I had to figure out the rest from there. Don't get me wrong, they kept a close eye on me, but learning it for myself made it so much more impactful and personal for me. I forgive them for punishing me when I did wrong and I hope they forgive me for yelling hateful words in their directions sometimes, because they were perfect parents for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment